History of Youngstown State University
The university's origins trace back to 1908, when the local branch of the YMCA established a school of law within the Youngstown Association School.
In 1921, the school became known as the Youngstown Institute of Technology and offered its first evening courses.
In 1928, a year after establishing the College of Arts and Sciences, the institute once again changed its name to Youngstown College.
In 1955, Youngstown College was renamed as Youngstown University, an indication of the school's broadening curriculum.
On September 1, 1967, after becoming a public institution, Youngstown University became officially known as Youngstown State University.
The following spring, YSU opened a Graduate School and College of Applied Science and Technology.
In 1974, the College of Fine and Performing Arts was established.
History of the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
The original Department of Computer Science had its roots within the Mathematics department beginning in 1969, then located in Cushwa Hall.
In later years the department was combined with the schools of Engineering, Technology and Science to form STEM.
More and better history to follow....