Youngstown State University Mission Statement
Youngstown State University—an urban research university—emphasizes a creative, integrated approach to education, scholarship, and service. The University places students at its center; leads in the discovery, dissemination, and application of knowledge; advances civic, scientific, and technological development; and fosters collaboration to enrich the region and the world.
- Creates diverse educational experiences that develop ethical, intellectually curious students who are invested in their communities;
- Provides access to a broad range of undergraduate programs;
- Offers graduate programs in selected areas of excellence, including those that meet the needs of the region;
- Supports economic development through applied learning and research;
- Integrates teaching and learning, scholarship, and civic engagement;
- Fosters understanding of diversity, sustainability, and global perspectives; and
- Advances the intellectual and cultural life of the city, region, and world.
The following Mission statement was approved by CSIS faculty on November 2, 2006.
CSIS Mission Statement
- The primary mission of the CSIS Department is to design a broad range of current Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, and Information Technology experiences that include multidisciplinary activities and community interaction, using current computing technology and supported by strong written, critical thinking, and verbal communication skills to enable students to function effectively in a technology-based society.
- The Department is an important academic resource for computing information, consultation, and computer-related instruction for the campus and the community. Partnerships are developed with local industry and school systems to benefit the economic health of the Mahoning Valley.
- The department supports and encourages research, industry partnerships, and other activities leading to the development of new technologies and new classroom methods and techniques.
- The Department supports and encourages research, industry partnerships, and other activities leading to the development of new technologies, new courses and curriculum, and new classroom methods and techniques.
- The Department recognizes that computing has become an increasingly crucial aspect of all disciplines of knowledge, and supports interdisciplinary programs and forms symbiotic relationships with other disciplines in areas of greatest benefit to students.
- The Department supports the social growth of students, promoting ethical decision making, the development of secure and reliable computing systems, and an awareness of the role of computing in a global environment. The Department also constantly strives for diversity in terms of groups underrepresented in computing, particularly women.